Sunday, August 31, 2008

Being Alone

If you really know me, you’d realize that I am the queen of maps and directions.

I do not get lost even if it’s my first time to set foot in a foreign place.

All I need is a good map, iPod, money and prepaid credits.

Dad has always been proud in my ability to remember the places I’ve been to even if I have just visited it once. I have this very keen sense of direction that made everybody go wander around with me in any foreign place. Yes, I am that brave. I want to go out alone. Be it at 9 AM or 12 AM. I don’t care.

There was too much work in the reunion center during my first few days. My meal times weren’t normal because we just can’t leave our station. People come and go anytime and they need the badges from me or Sandy.

I asked them if I could go out on my own. I don’t want to ask the Chinese volunteers to go with me because they also have other things to do. They didn’t allow me at first because they’re afraid I might end up going somewhere really scary. The persistent bitch in me made them say yes.

I left at 8 AM and got back by 4 PM just in time to watch an Olympic game with Dr. Marc Daniel.

I did the same thing 5 years ago when I was in Tokyo. I left our hotel at 9 AM and got back around 7 PM. I just wandered around Tokyo and figured the city out by just riding the most complicated subway system in the world.

I made my itinerary while having breakfast at the nearest Starbucks. They provide the most amazing map ever. It was very friendly for adventurous women like me. Men wouldn’t understand it because it has drawings and sometimes men really suck with map and directions. Hehe… I ended up getting many copies and gave these to our colleagues (former Olympians) back at the reunion center.

I went to Lama temple by riding a cab. I ended up telling him where to turn right or left and make a u-turn or whatsoever. He didn’t understand where I wanted to go. So I just figured the map out and told him the directions one at a time.

Lama Temple

After Lama Temple, I went to Forbidden City by riding the subway. I had to change trains from Line 5 to Line 1. There were 8 stations all in all. There weren’t much foreigners in the subway. The locals were all looking at me because I kept on counting the station lights, so I will not miss my stop.

Forbidden City was HELL big. I was walking for 2 hours or so. Sandy told me to just go straight from North to South gate or the other way around. I should not turn right or left, else I’ll get lost. The hardheaded bitch in me did not follow her. I went AROUND! When I felt that I couldn’t see the exit gate anymore, I looked for the information center. Just to realize this.

After 2 hours of walking under the scorching heat, I was only at the red spot. 2 HOURS. It was big. I was alone and asking people to take my pictures. After realizing that and a couple of profanity, I told myself to just go straight.

Forbidden City

I got out after an hour. Sweaty, Smelly and Tired.

I looked for the subway and went to Wangfujing. After a few minutes I decided to go back since I had to watch an event and had to meet up with Marc at the hotel.

Got off at Tuanjiehu station and rode the cab since it was so far if I had to walk back and I smelled like rubbish already.

Days after my adventure, I am the one telling the cab driver or Sandy as to which station we should get off, where to go, how to go there and whatever. Hao and Sk (our local friends) were so shocked when they learned that. I even know the nearest Starbucks stores in the hotel. I know which malls have Adidas, Zara and Mango. I know how to go to Silk Market, Tiananmen Square, Olympic Village, Airport, Yashow Market, Hooters, Hou Hai, CCTV Building and Wangfujing. I can go there without the map.

Fabulous diba? So if you need a tour guide in Beijing you know who to call.


No comments: