Monday, October 27, 2008

Movie Review: Once (Irish musical film)



It is uncommon for me to fall in love with a romantic flick.

I've waited a long time for my next favorite romantic flick after Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Nothing really had suited my taste lately.

I had the song "Falling Slowly" of Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova in my iPod for a long time since I just copy songs from my sister, Ja.
I knew that it was from a movie but I didn't know it was a good one.

Last last Sunday, after having a nice Mexican meal at Soho in Central, I saw the poster of "Once". I got attracted to it because it won an award in the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.

From experience, movies nominated in this awarding body are really unforgettable and good. So I asked Allan to download it.



The next day, he told me that he likes this particular song from the movie. It was "Falling Slowly" and I listened to it again. I promised myself to watch it as soon as I find some time to do so. And so I did.

I fell in love with the movie, the characters and the songs.

Its rapport is Before Sunrise-esque but boasts a less talk, more music style.

The movie trusts the audience enough to leave the best parts of the movie unstated.
It was a short 90 minute flick where the characters uttered few words but expressed full emotion to let the audience understand what is going on.

It's not the typical Hollywood film where the storyline is explicitly stated making it over the top and common.









I cried not because somebody died or anything.
I cried because I was so touched. There were things left unsaid in the movie that made me fall in love with it more than I expected.
I cried because after so many years, I fell in love again with a wonderful, non-Hollywood flick.
I cried because there was no instance in the movie that you'd hear the word "LOVE" but you knew that it was there.
I cried because I could relate.
I cried because I felt it. Enough said.






Watch it.

2 comments:

Carl Joseph Papa said...

best film of 2007!

I am Suplada said...

hahaha.. i like the OST too. :)